Dear Students and Families,
Welcome Warriors to the 2017 – 2018 school year! Our commitment at S.E. Gross Middle School is to provide a safe, positive, intellectual learning environment that will empower students to become creative problem solvers, critical thinkers, and inspired learners prepared for high school, college, and life in the twenty-first century.
Once again, daily expectations will be strongly enforced this year. Students will spend time in homeroom learning what it means to be a part of the Warrior Nation. We will continue to live by the pillars of: Be Respectful, Be Positive, Be Prepared. As a group, we can keep SEG a great learning environment by adhering to these pillars of a strong community.
Middle school is a time of a change. It is an exciting time, but it can also be challenging with the increase in workloads, social and physical adjustments, and having multiple teachers through the course of the day. Make sure to check regularly with your child to see how the school year is going and if you can assist them in any way.
Warriors, I encourage you to do the following so you can be successful in your transition and time in middle school:
- Communicate with others in a respectful manner.
- Pose questions, examine possibilities, and challenge yourself to find solutions.
- Surround yourself with positive people.
- Make positive choices related to physical and mental wellness; and
- Contribute to our school community in a collaborative respectful manner.
- Come ready each and every single day to learn. Each day prepares you for the rest of your life.
Parents, please make time to:
- Ask your student(s) specific questions about their time at school. For example, “What was the most interesting thing you did in math class today?” or “Tell me about your science experiment?” This should be a daily occurrence. Never let a day pass without engaging your child in conversation about the day.
- Check teacher’s webpages for updates on what is happening in their classroom to assist in the previous message, and to see upcoming homework, tests, and projects. We will be focusing heavily on communicating in a highly efficient manner through the website this year, so check often.
- Communicate with your child’s teachers and staff members to establish a successful home/school connection. We want to be active partners with you in your child’s education.
We are looking forward to a positive, upbeat school year in the Warrior Nation. I encourage all students to connect with our school; stand up to mistreatment and to anything you know is not right. Remind yourself you do not have to follow the crowd. Be yourself, and even when no one is watching, do the right thing. Parents, please help us by reinforcing school expectations at home. With your help, SEG will continue to be a school community in which every person feels respected, valued, and is encouraged and challenged to achieve at the highest levels.
I encourage you all to be active in our Parent Teacher Organization. This partnership is essential for our continued success. You can access their website at http://www.segrosspto.org/.
If we can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact SEG Assistant Principal or Jeff Tumpane or myself. Know that our doors are always open.
We am excited for the opportunity to work with you and your student to provide a productive and safe learning environment that supports student success. Once again, welcome to S.E. Gross Middle School! I am honored to serve as your Principal and look forward to a year of great student success in the Warrior Nation!
Ryan Evans Jeff Tumpane
Principal Assistant Principal
S.E. Gross Middle School S.E. Gross Middle School
(708) 588-8801 (708) 588-8802
“It’s a Great Day to be a Warrior!”